Lady Jacket volleyball season comes to a close

Makenzie Stone, Staff

The Starkville High School Lady Jacket volleyball players made memories this season. With an 11-18 season, the Lady Jackets ranked 36th overall in the state of Mississippi and 3rd  in their district (1-4).  
The team competed in five tournaments: Bulldog Bash, Set it Off Challenge, Tupelo Volleyfest, Saints Showdown Quarterfinals and Clinton Invitational. The Lady Jackets’ had to make some adjustments this season after losing their setter and middle, both who graduated after the 2017-2018 season.  
Madeline Tegt plays libero with four years of experience.  
“I’m happy to see so much potential in the younger players and I think that the volleyball program has grown a lot and will continue to,”Tegt said. 
The Lady Jackets brought these fresh-faces on for this season: sophomores Zoe Elder (setter), Jakaylin Brown (middle) and newcomer Brayland Ferguson (middle) to replace the former veterans’ positions.  
Although it brought a bit of confusion at times, this young team showed tremendous potential against their rivals.  The Lady Jackets played a hard-fought district match against Northwest Rankin but fell short (3-2), this propelled the Lady Jacket volleyball team to push harder and make their presence known among their other district rivals. The Lady Jackets also faced top-ranked district rival Madison Central and lost 3-0; however, the sets consisted of 22-25, 7-25, and 19-25.   
This was a defining moment in the eyes of Tegt.  
“Madison Central is a very talented team and the fact that we were neck and neck the whole time shows how competitive of a team SHS can be,” Tegt said. 
Tegt, along with Leilah Taylor (right and left hitter) were the only two seniors on the team this year.  Being a co-caption [with Taylor] has taught me a lot about leadership, communication, and teamwork, Tegt said.  
This role of leadership for the two has come into play, as the two are leaders in their team statistics.  
Taylor leads the Lady Jackets with 135 kills and 52 aces while Tegt leads with 248 digs and 10 assists.  
The Lady Jackets defeated Tupelo 3-0 on senior night. Both Tegt and Taylor have decided not to play college volleyball in order to pursue academics; however, they both agree that volleyball has been a part of their lives that they will always hold dear.  
“Volleyball has been a part of my life since I was 10, and it has been a way for me to escape the world. I will miss playing very much, but I’m glad I had the opportunity to,” Talyor said. 
The coaching staff, comprised of head coach Xavier Tillman and assistant coach Kyla Manafee, added a new staff member to their team, Sierra Horel 
Sophomore Zoe Elder believes hiring Horel was a smart move. 
“Coach Sierra is very encouraging, and I think that everyone on the team is very comfortable with her,” Elder said. 
Overall, this season was a hard-fought one for the Lady Jackets, having to adjust to staff changes, new teammates, and heartbreaking losses. 
The Lady Jackets persevered and managed to make their mark on the court and prove themselves to be a force to be reckoned with, winning against notable teams such as Choctaw County, Tupelo and district opponent Murrah.  
Although the Lady Jackets will not advance to any post-season play, the team has shown tremendous growth, coming back to win the back half of their schedule. The coaching staff has also formed a strong team of rising upperclassmen to lead the program after their senior teammates graduate.  
Coach Tillman believes that her team is hardworking and that the effort they put into their future seasons will only increase.  
“Success isn’t owned. It’s leased, and rent is due every day,” Tillman said.