SHS thespians present “A Scar Test”

Back to Article
Back to Article

SHS thespians present “A Scar Test”

Madelyn Methvin, Staff

The Starkville High School Thespians are putting on The Scar Test by Hannah Kalil this Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The Scar Test is about immigrants assimilating into United States culture. Each scene of the play tells a different story of an immigrant. 

The show is originally a play but the school’s Miss Trisha Pate, theatre teacher and director, added in a few songs throughout the show. 

Samantha Turner is a Senior thespian who has been participating in school plays and musicals since her freshman year.
“My role is Tired Woman, an immigrant being detained at the Yarl’s Wood Immigration Removal Center,” Turner said. 

Turner said it is stressful to be a senior and hold a lead role due to college applications, but at the same time she really finds it rewarding and fun.
“I do have plans to pursue theatre and possibly double major or minor in business,” Turner said. 

The thespians have been preparing since September every Tuesday through Friday from 4 p.m.-5 p.m. This past Tuesday (11/6) there was a mandatory dress rehearsal.  

Junior, Grant Peterson appreciates the message behind the play.
“The play has been challenging primarily because it really tests your teamwork. This play in particular has balanced roles, so every actor and tech person has to be strong. You have to really learn to trust your fellow cast mates. The play has also been difficult because it spreads such an important message about modern issues like immigration. You have to be able to portray this issue realistically and carefully,” Peterson said.
Pate and several cast members designed the set. The cast has been working on the sets since they started practice. There have been work days where all thespians were invited to help prepare the sets, even if they are not in the play. 

Opening night is tonight (11/8) at 7:30  p.m. in the SHS theatre. Tickets are $7 at the door.