Lady Jacket soccer wins first home game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Jacket soccer wins first home game

Thomas Henry Tucker, Staff

The Starkville High School Lady Jacket soccer team played its first home season game against the Kosciusko Lady Whippets. They defeated the Lady Whippets 10-1, bringing their record to 5-1. 

Kyra Moorhead is a senior mid-fielder. And playing her first year for the team. “It feels super good to win our first home game of the season. All of the girls were really happy about it,” Moorhead said. Moorhead had 2 goals in last night’s game.
Nadia Borzjani is a sophomore right mid- fielder. She believes senior Rainey Wells stands out to a lot of the younger players on the team.
“Rainey really stands out to me because she’s been helping this team ever since she switched schools here. She always goes 100 percent and is a good role model for the younger people on the team,” Borzjani said.
According to Borzjani, Wells is also very good at communicating on the field and telling people what to do.
The team lost a number of key seniors last year, leaving some big shoes to fill. For these new starters, confidence plays a big role in winning games.
“Confidence is key, this gives us motivation knowing that we can win games. We can work together as a team, we have a really strong offense and defense and we really clicked today so hopefully for the rest of the season we keep clicking and keep winning games,” Morehead said. 

The team likes to have a lot of fun and play around, but when it comes down to game time, they totally change their mentality to get game ready.
“Before games we usually joke around a lot, but today once we finished stretching, we took the warm-ups seriously and didn’t joke around like we usually do. We realized that was a problem and it wasn’t getting us game ready, so I think being focused during that time really mentally prepared us,” Borzjani said. 

The Lady Jackets will play their next game Monday, November 26, versus Louisville at 5 p.m. at Yellow Jacket Stadium.