Lady Jacket soccer team comes out on top

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brianne Locke, Staff

Tuesday, December 4, the Lady Jacket Soccer team competed in a regular season game against the Caledonia Lady Confederates. At the end of the first half, the Lady Jackets led with a total of two goals and they scored two goals in the second half making the final score an 4-1 win. This win gave the Lady Jackets a record of 8-1.  

The Lady Confederates made the first goal, but the Lady Jackets kept fighting and came back strong. Jenna Jackson, sophomore defender, felt that the Lady Jackets started off slow but once the Lady Confederates scored everyone started working harder to gain the lead. 

“I think we started off slow but once they scored we kicked into gear and started playing like we do. We still have work to do before our first district game,” Jackson said.  

Following the goal from the Lady Confederates, Meg Rodgers, eighth grade forward, scored with an assist from Angela Ross, junior midfielder, to tie the game up 1-1.  

“I am glad I could work with my team to score because teamwork is very important to me when playing soccer, but I want to please my team since I am an underclassman. Scoring the goals that I had and seeing my team run up to me and congratulate me is the best feeling,” Rodgers said.  

Also scoring in the first half was Amber Bock, senior forward, with an assist from Zoe Elder, sophomore midfielder, to give the Lady Jackets a 2-1 lead at the end of the half.  

“At first, I didn’t think I would score, but when you think less about scoring it ends up happening. I couldn’t be happier than to have that feeling of energy. It is like being charged with more fuel for a longer drive to play and you stay hungry,” Bock said.  

In the second half the Lady Jackets continued to score with another goal from Rodgers on a breakaway, and another goal from Bock with a header assisted by Skyler Miller, freshman defender, off a corner kick.  

“I love being able to help my team out in any scoring opportunities and I am happy to help out wherever and whenever I am needed. It also makes it better when me and my teammates work together and actually score off corner kicks,” Miller said. 

Elder feels this game gives the Lady Jackets momentum and experience to get ready for harder opponents in the future.  

“We gain momentum and experience going forward as we prepare for our tougher games in the future, such as Madison Central this Friday,” Elder said. 

Coach Abby Phillips felt the girls played a good game, but they still have some things to improve on. 

“The girls played well and came out on top. We worked the ball well across the back line and maintained possession up the field. We need to clean up our passes, have more movement off the ball, and more communication all around. We have the skill, we just need to play with more passion,” Phillips said.  

The Lady Jackets will compete in their next game Friday, December 7 at 5:30 p.m. against the Madison Central Lady Jaguars at Madison Central High School.