Mattox signs with Mississippi State University

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jasmine Baker, Staff

Caroline Mattox, member of the Starkville High track and cross-country team, signed a letter of intent committing to further her academic and athletic careers at Mississippi State University. 

Mattox has been running competitively for six years. At the age of 12, she began running with her sisters. Caroline’s older sisters, Walker and Kate Mattox, both ran collegiate cross-country and track. Walker ran at North Alabama for four years and Kate is currently running at The University of Southern Mississippi. “My sisters are my biggest role models. My family has always supported me and are great examples of where hard work can take you,” Mattox said.  

Caroline suffers from Haglund’s deformity, which is a bony enlargement on the back of the heel. This causes the Achilles tendon to be severely irritated every time the heel rubs against shoes. During the middle of her senior cross-country season, Mattox’s Achilles caused her to be on injury reserve. 

Despite her injuries, Caroline ran an 18:43 5k, an 11:56 2 mile, and 5:30 I mile, qualifying her to compete in the state championship. She hopes to continue to improve during the outdoor track season in the spring. 

“God really blessed me with the opportunity to take my running and academics to the next level. I’ve made some of the best memories and friends on the team. It’s been a fun journey and I can’t wait to see where life takes me,” Mattox said. 

Mattox joins teammate Mary Beth Woodward who committed to MSU earlier this semester.