Jacket Nation gains a win against Germantown

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rachel Adair

Last week was a busy homecoming week in the Jacket Nation with a variety of events for students and the community. The week came to a close as the Yellow Jacket football team hosted the Germantown Mavericks in a big district game.  

Before kickoff, the community came together to support the football team with the third annual Tailgates and Touchdowns. Schools in the Starkville Oktibbeha District set up booths to pass out popcorn, barbeque sandwiches, drinks, and hot dogs for the community to enjoy.  

Cheerleaders performed chants, and the band played a number from their competition show. The robotics team held a “smash a car” fundraiser at the tailgate. Participants paid two dollars for unlimited hits in one minute. 

At the end of the first quarter, the Yellow Jackets had scored four touchdowns and three successful PATs. Two of the touchdowns came from Luke Altmyer’s complete passes to Joshua Aka.  

It was great to put two scores on the board on Friday, but anything I can do to help my team is something that I look forward to every night,” Aka said.  

Following the first quarter, the fans drew their attention to the Starkville High School classes of 1989 and 2009 who were recognized. Principal, Sean McDonnall and Millsaps Director, Lenora Hogan were both a part of the graduating class of 1989.  

During halftime, Kristie Williams announced the homecoming maids. The three Freshmen maids were Jersey Hendrix, Indya Sparks, and Olivia Stevenson. The four Sophomore maids were Perris Cummings, Nicajuh Greer, Libby Mattox, and Tydaija Spencer. The five Junior maids were Jada Odneal, Madison Shultice, Ja’Nautica Jenkins, Alexus Johnson, and Nia Johnson. The six Senior maids were Yazmine Brooks, India Hill, Taylor Rupp, Jasmine Stone, and Sarah Bailey Simmerman.  

Student Body Vice President, Grace May, crowned Joshua Aka king.  

“It was a huge honor to be crowned king in front of not only my family, but most of the city of Starkville that comes out to support our football team. I can’t thank God enough for allowing me to be in such a position,” Aka said.  

Student Body President, Kyran Williams-Roberts crowned Taylor Rupp queen.  

Being crowned queen in front of such a large crowd filled with my family, friends, and classmates was an amazing experience. It means the world to me to represent such an outstanding school,” Rupp said.