Four-day school week creates advantages

Kate Dickerson

Do you ever wish you could have a shorter school week? Most students would agree that having a longer weekend is a great idea. This is becoming a reality across the country. According to the National Conference of State Legislature’s website, 560 districts in 25 states have one or more schools on a four-day schedule. The school week should be reduced to four days a week because it improves students’ behavior, reduces the amount of absences and betters the students’ overall performance.

If the school week were reduced to four days, students would have better behavior. The Chattanooga School District in Georgia has recently switched to the four-day school week. The school recorded that the “frequency of discipline referrals for their students dropped by 73%.” The school contributed this to the fact that that students were getting more sleep which led to them to being more focused and having fewer behavioral issues in the classroom.

The number of absences would decrease if the school week were reduced. The Melstone School District in Melstone, Montana, has seen their attendance grow after changing their schedule. It was recorded that the school’s “attendance improved as much as 20 percent over a two-year period after moving to a four-day school week.”

By increasing attendance, this would also increase funding for the school which would help improve facilities and resources. Additionally, one fewer day a week would reduce money spent on transportation, utilities, breakfast and lunch.

A shorter school week would help improve students’ grades and performance in school. Having extra time during the weekend gives students more time to complete schoolwork and increase study time leading to an increase in student success. “The Peach County School District in Georgia saw that their graduation rates slowly increased year after year when they switched to a four-day school week.”

The purpose of school is to learn. If a shorter school week helps kids learn and improve their grades, it’s something schools should seriously consider.

Changes can come with challenges, but that is not the case here. The benefits strongly outweigh the few inconveniences. Improvements in student behavior, reduction in the amount of absences, and improvement in students’ overall performance would be a result of the shorter school week.