Sleep is important for high school students

Anna Richey

Sleep is an important part of the day. It influences your mental state and common health. According to hopkinsmedicine.orgteens need approximately nine hours of sleep, this number can help with growth of the mind and body. Teens need the most rest, because they are constantly growing and maturing every day.

Sophomore Woodson Morrow goes to sleep at 11 p.m. and wakes up at 7a.m, which gives him eight hours of sleep. “When I don’t get enough sleep, I get tired and weak,” Morrow said.

When teenagers have a lack of sleep it can also have an impact on their behaviors.

Sophomore Abbi Upchurch goes to sleep around 10 p.m. or 11p.m. and wakes up at 7a.m. which gives her about 7 or 8 hours of sleep. “I don’t do much, I’m not myself [when I don’t get enough sleep],” Upchurch said.

According to Healthline.com sleep deprivation ties together with crankiness, depression and anxiety. “I’m really quiet and not as outgoing,” Morrow said.

Sophomore Christian Dunne said, “I’m more irritable, definitely less interactive”

Cell phone use before bed can cause sleep deprivation because it’s a huge distraction from sleeping. According to thehits.co The blue lights in cell phone screens interfere with the production of melatonin (a hormone that helps you fall asleep).

“I lie down at 10 and stay on my phone for about an hour and a half,” Morrow said. Upchurch admits she is on her phone for about 20 minutes and said in order to get a good night’s rest, a phone must be on silent and out of the picture.

Sleep is essential to people of all ages, but it is very important for teenagers to get a good night’s rest. Teens are constantly growing mentally and physically, and sleeping is an important step to maturing and growing into adulthood.