Faculty Student Game supports local food pantries

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Madelyn Methvin

Photo by Madelyn Methvin

Photo by Madelyn Methvin

Karlee Meyers

STARKVILLE, Miss., January 31, 2020- Student council held a faculty vs student volleyball game fourth block. Students gained entry by bringing canned food items.

Sarah Fraza is the sponsor of the Student Council. “They [canned food items] are going to a food pantry, Bully’s Food Pantry [St. Joseph, and other local pantries],” Fraza said.

The game was a fun event for the students and teachers to come together. “It improves school culture and makes this a fun place to be,” Fraza said.

Many students participated and looked to have fun. After the game senior player, Catherine Li said, “I used to play volleyball in middle and high school. My friends got me to play and I thought, ‘why not?’”

Li believes it is important for the school to hold events like the volleyball game. “It’s a great way for students to come together.  I think it’s important to keep everyone excited and keep everyone wanting to come back to school.”

The teachers won the short, but intense game. When the game ended, teachers and students debated the fairness of the game.

“I think it was good, I thought the students did good and I think the teachers cheated a little, but that’s okay. I think if they hadn’t cheated, we definitely would’ve won,” Li said.

From the faculty perspective, Principal Sean McDonall disagreed with Li.”It’s always fair, the students refereed. If it wasn’t fair, it wasn’t fair towards the teachers.”

Student council is planning more service projects, Fraza said.“We’ve done a variety of service projects already; we are going to be doing a book drive next week. We are trying to support the state charity, and they [student council] decided to do Read for America.”