Fashion Club hosts A Night of Love

Tykerria+Jones+models+in+the+fashion+show.+

Photo by Jasmine Baker

Tykerria Jones models in the fashion show.

Jasmine Baker

STARKVILLE, Miss., February 13, 2020 —The Starkville High School Fashion Club hosted “A Night of Love” fashion show in the SHS auditorium. The theme was inspired by Valentine’s Day and the stage was decorated in hearts, red balloons and a cardboard “XOXO” hung on the stage curtain. The models wore outfits centered around the colors pink, red and white. The clothes worn were owned by Fashion Club members and donated by Mrs. Pike and Costume Party. 

The Fashion Club is composed of students who serve as models, stylists and photographers. During “A Night of Love,” students including Annabelle Caraway, Tykerria Jones and Katy Pike were both stylists and models. In addition to having pictures taken during the show, the Fashion Club set up a Valentine’s Day photobooth for the audience to take pictures before and after. 

Senior Mary Jones created the Starkville High Fashion Club this year. Starting the SHS fashion club was something that was completely out of my comfort zone and a matter that I put off for a while, but eventually went through with it. I have not regretted it one single bit! The club has given students the opportunity to not only meet others in the club, but all come together to help orchestrate our fashion shows. Getting to know these girls and seeing them have fun with it all is what makes all of the hard work worth it,” Jones said. 

Mrs. Kathy Dawkins, Millsaps Career and Technology Center teacher, took on the responsibility of being the Fashion Club sponsor. “I have really enjoyed being the Fashion Club sponsor this year. The girls have really taken ownership of it. It has been their brainchild and dream. They have really rocked it all the way through. I hope they will continue it and it will grow next year. 

Mary is very excited about the future of SHS Fashion Club and said, “This was our second show. We plan on having one last show before school ends, with the hopes of making it a charity event.  

The club wanted to make sure they had enough experience with putting on the show, so the last one will be the best one.