Football players should not be drafted outside of high school

Catherine Simmons

High school football players having the option of skipping college to go straight to the NFL is a bad idea. There are so many reasons why they shouldn’t. 

People think it’s beneficial to let them skip college and gamble their health along with the rest of their lives. 

When football players are in high school, they are working hard but not as hard as they would have to throughout their college career. It will make them faster, stronger and better prepared for any play called or any lineman coming at them in the NFL, something no high school coach can do in a short three years. 

Few players have a fanbase other than their hometown going into college. College is a time for them to make connections with fans and meet lots of people. Dak Prescott turned nearly an entire state into Cowboys fans just from being so beloved while playing college ball at Mississippi State.  

Will Larson of SBNATION.com said, Prescott has single handily turned my least favorite NFL team into my favorite NFL team. So, it is no surprise to see the entire state of MS back him up. What does surprise me is how recognized his name is.”  

The minute Dak Prescott was drafted to the Dallas Cowboys half the people in the state of Mississippi went to buy a jersey with his name on it. This means more money for the Cowboys. I love watching Dallas games on Sunday because of the connection Dak had with the fans through his time in college, if Dak had been drafted out of high school I wouldn’t have had a clue who he was. 

Possibly the biggest reason high school football players need to go to college is to get a degree. It’s awful to see the ones who are leaving college early and not getting a degree. Having a professional football career doesn’t always guarantee financial stability. Not to mention if a player gets hurt and the doctor tells him that he won’t be able to play again, he is going to need a degree for most jobs in the world.  

Troy Vincent, former NFL cornerback, said on NFL.com that “Education is something we value at the NFL. We understand players are dreaming of playing on Sunday, Monday and Thursday. But we also know it may be a short-lived experience and that there’s nothing more valuable than your education.“  

The last reason skipping college to go straight to the pros is not beneficial is maturity. Players may not be mature enough to be on their own at 18 having millions come into their bank account. When they come to college they are coddled and told exactly what time and where to be; they are fed daily, and they wouldn’t get that treatment in the NFL. Many of them get in enough trouble in college, much less we give them a couple million dollars, thousands of hyped up fans, and the spotlight and their football career would end faster than it started.