Millsaps hosts FFA competition

Photo by Kate Dickerson

Students from the surrounding areas take qualifier test at the FFA Competition.

Kate Dickerson

STARKVILLE, Miss., February 21, 2020 — The Milsaps Career and Technological Center hosted the Future Farmers of America Competition for high schools in the surrounding areas. Starkville, West Point, Hamilton, Smithville and Amoryparticipated in the event.

FFA is an organization for high school aged students that allows them to grow and develop their leadership skills through agricultural education. FFA students can compete and win scholarships for college. It also prepares students for life after high school.

Students competed in a wide variety of events such as weldingand tractor driving. These events required the students to use real world skills.

“Students are supposed to have projects that are supervised by their teacher. There is public speaking and then there are lots of different contest that are involved with different agricultural activities. There is horse judging, forestry. There is horticulture, landscape architecture, nursery,” said SHS Agriculture teacher Mrs. Jack.

FFA also prepared students to effectively use public speaking skills. Several students competed in extemporaneous speaking.Students were allotted 30 minutes to research a given topic and prepare a short speech for a panel of judges.

The students prepared for their events for several months.Students practiced their skills during the Horticulture andAgriculture class blocks with the help of Mrs. Jack and Coach Carlisle. Senior FFA member Izak Hanson competed in welding and extemporaneous speaking.

“For extemporaneous speaking all of the sudden you are thrown a subject and you had to prepare a speech for Ms. Jack which was graded,” Hanson said.

The competition prepared students for a future in agriculturefocused careers.

“There are many different contests that are involved with the FFA. The idea being that the students when they go through the contests have a real good idea of what the career is for that particular contest,” Jack said.

FFA will advance to the next level of competition In March at Itawamba Community College and then to State at MSU in April.