Dresses of Hope brings pop up shop to students

Senior+Zaquavia+Edmonds+shops+for+a+prom+dress+in+the+library.+

Photo by Rachel Adair

Senior Zaquavia Edmonds shops for a prom dress in the library.

Rachel Adair

STARKVILLE, Miss., Feb. 28, 2020 –  Mississippi State University’s student organization Dresses of Hope set up in the SHS library. Dresses of Hope was founded three years ago with the purpose to provide underprivileged girls with prom dresses.  

The organization collects used dresses from MSU students that want to give back to an altruistic cause. Laura Turner has been an active member of Dresses of Hope since its conception, and currently servies as President.  

We set up a dress shop in the school so girls can find a dress free of cost. It is a super fun atmosphere and organization to be a part of,” Turner said.  

The Dresses of Hope organization is comprised of almost 100 members who are committed to giving back and helping high school girls find the perfect prom dress. 

Abby Stricklin is a 2019 graduate of Starkville High School, freshman at MSU, and a member of DOH.  

“My favorite thing about Dresses of Hope is getting to see the looks on the girls faces when they find the dress that fits, and they’re just so happy. It is such a rewarding experience for us,” Stricklin said.  

Halfway through the day on Friday, over 75 girls had tried on dresses in the SHS library.  

“Last year we gave out 68 dresses, so this year we were hoping to give out more; at this rate, we are on track to exceed well over our goal,” Turner said 

Abby Vandermeeden is a freshman at Mississippi State and first year DOH member. 

“I love getting to hang out and spend time with the girls at Starkville High School, and I love being able to help them find the perfect dress,” Vandermeeden said.  

The Dresses of Hope organization is expanding their horizons this year. They will set up shop at Louisville High School in hopes to positively impact more girls in the areas around Starkville.