School dress codes targeted towards female students

Johannah Larson

It is common knowledge that schools overly enforce dress codes today. Though society has claimed to change, it is evident that women are still held to a lower standard compared to their male counterparts. 

Senior, Victory Yarbrough, does not agree with the dress code enforced this year at Starkville High School. “I feel like the dress code is targeted towards females more than males. For instance, boys wear gym shorts at any length, but girls must endure that their khaki skirts are three inches above their knees,” Yarbrough said.  

All women know the struggle of shopping for school clothes. It is no secret that it is a challenge to find a skirt that fits a woman’s waist size, but also comes down clear to their knees. 

Yarbrough also stated that, We are allowed to wear tight fit jeans, but not leggings. I don’t think this is equitable because both articles of clothing cover the lower half of the body the same amount. If they cover everything they should not be considered as a distraction to males.”  

For most cases at Starkville High School, the punishment of violating the dress code is usually suspension for the day. This emerges concerns that students might fall behind academically when they miss too much class time due to waiting on teachers and administrators measuring their skirts, changing clothes, or suspension time.  

It is clear that men over sexualize women, which is the reason that all of these dress codes are in place. Women should not be penalized in school just because the boys cannot keep their mind straight. 

Starkville Academy student, Ainsley Ham, does not think that it is appropriate for male teachers to point out dress code violations on girl students. I believe that girl students should not be able to be dress coded by male teachers because if they did, they could be accused of sexual harassment,Ham said.  

Though school districts claim to be equal for all, the implementation of dress codes contradict this allegation.