Mississippi State University postpones Auburn University football game

Anna Richey

Bully masks up in the Bryan Building to prepare for the MSU football game.

Anna Richey

STARKVILLE, Miss. – Mississippi State University postponed the Mississippi State versus Auburn University football game due to the lack of scholarship players. 

The game was originally planned to be played on the November 14.  

Brandon Langlois is the associate AD of Communications at Mississippi State.   

“The postponement followed the Southeastern Conference’s policies and parameters for football game cancellations, rescheduling of games and no-contest declarations for the 2020 season.” Langlois said.  

The reason of student athletes being out had to do with Covid-19/close contact with Covid-19, and non Covid related injuries. The team must have at least 53 scholarship student athletes in order to play.  

“The requirements include one quarterback; seven offensive linemen, including one center; and four defensive linemen.” Langlois said, “Based on positive tests and those considered as close contacts, along with non-COVID injuries, MSU did not have the minimum number of scholarship student-athletes available to compete.” 

The tickets sold for the original date will still be good for use on the new date of the game. The game was rescheduled for December 12, 2020.  

Mike Richey serves as the Executive Senior Associate A.D /Bulldog Club and Ticket Operations 

Most tickets were sold in advance so that won’t have an impact on the attendance.  We sold under 15,000 tickets for the game, but students will be out on break so there won’t be many students there. Also, we have never had a home game this late in the year so we will have to see how the weather is the day of the game,” Richey said. 

MSU football team cancelled all team activity Tuesday and Wednesday. All activities resumed on Thursday.  

“MSU’s top priority remains the health, safety and well-being of its student-athletes and staff, while continuing to follow all established protocols.” Langlois said. 

Mississippi State University will play the University of Georgia this weekend with the proper number of players needed to play.