JROTC holds annual Veterans Day Program

Anastasia Woods

JROTC cadets set the table to honor MIA soldiers.

Anastasia Woods

STARKVILLE, Miss. – JROTC held its annual Veterans Day program November 11, in the Starkville High School gym. Students and faculty honored all the solders that fought for freedom and kept America safe.

All SHS students and faculty watched from their classrooms while JROTC performed the traditions for this year’s program. Lieutenant Colonel Charlese Webb, leader of the JROTC and host of the Veterans Day program along with and her cadets gave their speeches for those who have fought in war while marching, singing and performing a special routine. Having to adjust to the current situation Webb and cadets took any opportunity they had to make things work.

“The schedule that we are on made it difficult to be able to practice because some students are still traditional, some are virtual, but they still made it happen,” Webb said. “The cadets did after school practice, and we did some in-class practice when we had the opportunity.”

As a ritual in the program, JROTC cadets set a table for to remember and honor all soldiers who are missing in action. Teagan Morgan, senior band trumpeter, played “Taps” during this part of the ceremony.

With the current situation, Webb and cadets all made this year a memorable year for senior cadets. With this being the seniors’ last Veterans Day, they look back for where they began to where they’ve ended.

The SHS Choir performed “The Star Spangled Banner” and “America the Beautiful” and veterans who serve as faculty and staff at SHS were recognized.

Senior cadet Ja’Vonne Rich is one of the high-ranking cadets in JROTC who is graduating this year.

“With this being my last year in JROTC, it’s really sad that this is my last Veterans Day program, but I have taken a lot from the program,” Rich said. “The Veterans Day Program has taught me leadership skills, how to communicate with others, life skills, and just being an overall better person.”

Taking a moment to remember what has improved over the years. Rich shows amazing growth while being in JROTC over the years.  “The main thing I have taken away from JROTC over the year would honestly be communication,” Rich said. “My communication skills were very poor coming into high school, so just being able to be around people, in this positive environment, helped me to be a better person and citizen.”