Horticulture class visits Partnership Middle School

Joelee Ford

Coach Carlisle teaches students about the Horticulture program.

Joelee Ford

STARKVILLE, Miss. – Tuesday, Nov. 17, Starkville High School’s Millsaps CTE Horticulture class went to the Partnership Middle School on MSU’s campus to talk to a group of younger students 

While the class was there, they demonstrated what it’s like to be in the Horticulture class at SHS. Coach Randy Carlisle has been teaching at Millsaps for five years. He led the class to teach the younger peers how Horticulture works and what it can bring for the children in the future.  

The high school students gifted their Partnership peers with plant boxes and news of planting gardens for the new school.  

During the demonstration, Carlisle allowed students to conduct some handson activities with the plants the Horticulture students brought over from the Millsaps greenhouse.  

“We are the Horticulture class at the high school and our class is about plants and the wellness of plants,Carlisle said as he introduced himself and his students. Along with cracking some jokes and asking some basic questions about plants, Carlisle and his class presented wooden planters outside of the classrooms near the front of the school.  

Julie White, the GrOW (Gardening and Overall Wellness) teacher at the Partnership School led the class inside to see how the students at the Partnership attend classes that teach about gardening and wellness along with nutritional values.  

White taught young students to pick plants and keep track of nutrition values after the demonstration. Her teachings allow students to explore a variety of subjects.  

“We talk about anything from gardening to overall wellness which includes nutrition, food safety and cooking,” White said 

Starkville High/Millsaps offers Horticulture I and II to prepare students for future careers in landscape design, turf grass management and plant production. Students can earn two science credits upon completion of the second year. Students may also qualify to compete in Future Farmers of America (FFA) district and state competition.